Language & Accessibility
Main Languages
Language Select
Text Size

Can't find what you're looking for? Use the key word search below

Housing Benefit

If you are entitled to Housing Benefit to assist you with the payment of part or all of your rent, you can arrange for this to be paid directly to us by the Housing Benefit Department. For advice on this option, or to obtain an application form, you can contact your Rents Officer or Customer Service Advisor on 0800 121 6064 (Freephone), or the Housing Benefit Department, on 029 2087 2087.

A member of our Rents Team can help you with all aspects of your Housing Benefit including sending application forms and supporting evidence, or you can go directly to one of Cardiff Council's Hub services.

There are several very important things to remember if you claim Housing Benefit:

  • It is your responsibility to ensure that your Housing Benefit is paid to us on time. Please do not forget that the responsibility for payment of rent remains with you, not the Housing Benefit Department.
  • If you receive Housing Benefit for only part of your rent, you must make arrangements for paying the remainder.
  • You must tell the Housing Benefit Department and your Rents Officer if your circumstances change, for example, if a child reaches the age of 18, someone moves in or out, or you start work. If you do not inform the Housing Benefit Department of any changes, you may receive benefit which you are not entitled to, and you will be asked to repay it.