Language & Accessibility
Main Languages
Language Select
Text Size

Can't find what you're looking for? Use the key word search below

How we set your rent

The rent paid to us by Tenants covers the cost of providing and maintaining our houses. This includes paying for staff, paying for repair and maintenance work on our homes, and repaying money borrowed to finance the building of new properties. We are a non-profit organisation and therefore we set our rent at the lowest possible level.

The amount of rent you pay for your home will vary depending on the size and type of your home, where you live and whether you have a Secure or Assured tenancy. Before we change your rent we have to give you a month’s written notice.

Secure Tenancies

If your tenancy started before 15 January 1989, the amount of rent you pay is fixed by the Rent Officer at Cardiff County Council. The Rent Officer is a public employee, and is completely independent of the Association. Every 2 years we can apply to the Rent Officer for your rent to be reassessed. The Rent Officer will consult with you before making a decision.

If you disagree with the Rent Officer’s decision, you must appeal within 28 days to the Rent Assessment
Committee. We can assist you in doing this. The Rent Assessment Committee’s decision is final, and is binding upon you and us.
We can ask for your rent to be reassessed within the 2 year period if there have been any changes to your home, for example, any major improvements.

Assured Tenancies

If your tenancy started after 15 January 1989, you will have an Assured or Assured Short-hold tenancy. Your rent is fixed by the Association, although for some property types the rent is restricted to a certain level by the Welsh Government.

Your rent is reviewed every year, and we must give you at least one month’s notice in writing of any increases.

If you think we have set your rent too high you can appeal to the Rent Assessment Committee. They will look at all the facts and set a rent. This may be higher than the rent we want to charge you. You can ask for advice about your rent from the Citizen’s Advice Bureau, the Law Centre or a solicitor.