Language & Accessibility
Main Languages
Language Select
Text Size

Can't find what you're looking for? Use the key word search below

What happens if your relationship breaks down

If you are married or living with a partner and your relationship breaks down, you may need advice on your tenancy and other personal and legal matters. The law on relationship breakdown is complex, so you are likely to need legal advice.

You should also contact your Housing Officer to get advice on what this might mean for your tenancy.

We do try and deal sympathetically and promptly with tenancy matters after a relationship breakdown, in order to avoid further distress.

We always try to act objectively and impartially between partners.

The advice and assistance we can give will depend on whether you have a sole or joint tenancy.

Please read the section on Types of Tenancy for more information about this.

Where we can, we will give advice and assistance in finding alternative accommodation for a partner who needs to leave the property.